Monday, December 18, 2006

8th Wisconsin and "Old Abe" 25mm

I had decided to make a unit to represent the 8th Wisconsin, contrary to popular belief this unit was not part of the same Iron Brigade that the 24th Mich belonged to but rather a group from the Western theater of operation. I was very underwhelmed with the mini offered by Old Glory to represent Old Abe so I decided to make my own. A friend of mine is currently doing a 25mm French Napoleonic group and since eagles are top of mind for him he was able to find me a figure that had a perfectly sized eagle on it.

This was a simple job so I didnt need much more then glue, sharp blades and a pin vice...


Below is a shot of the mini, its a Games Workshop elf, to the right you can see it with the eagle removed...


Next I had to prep the command stand. I clipped the musket off the mini on the front right and carved the remaining stock down to a poll and used a pin vice to drill a hole for the new eagle perch...


Next the perch...this was simple. I used some wire (flag poles) cut 2 pieces and made a 'T'. Next I took an old Games Workshop shield crest, cut it and sanded it some and it made the perfect platform for underneath the perch...




After that, all that was needed was to paint the perch and the eagle and glue it all into place. My apologies for the bad pic yet again, new camera coming soon!

No comments: